About The Oshawa Clinic Group
At your service
Oshawa’s oldest Medical Clinic... at your service
The Oshawa Clinic is Canada’s largest medical clinic and has a long and colourful past dating back to 1927.
The Oshawa Clinic originated from a partnership formed in 1927 by Dr. Grant Bird and Dr. Oscar G. Mills who had graduated together from the University of Toronto in 1921. In 1930 they were joined by Dr. W.S. Millman who specialized in Diagnostic Radiology and in 1934 by Dr. James R. Bayne who developed the specialty of Paediatrics. The Oshawa Clinic officially opened at the corner of King Street and Charles Street in Oshawa on December 1, 1948.
In 1948 the population of Oshawa was 25,000. In response to the rapidly increasing population, the Clinic continued to add medical staff, hired a business administrator and developed improved facilities for laboratory, X-ray, physiotherapy, pharmacy and medical records. In 1962, a 30,000 square foot wing was added. The partners decided to embark on a major expansion and on May 19, 1971, opened the eight storey tower to allow the group to grow to approximately 40 doctors and establish the urgent care clinic. In 1985 the laboratory, front lobby and urgent care clinic were enlarged and in 1987 the three storey west wing building was added to the complex.
The partners decided to embark on a major expansion and on May 19, 1971, opened the eight storey tower to allow the group to grow…
The Oshawa Clinic has continued to expand to over 130 physicians. The group recognized that much of the residential growth in the Durham Region was east of Oshawa in the Courtice area. This area was highly underserviced by doctors and they wanted to better serve the needs. In doing so, they built a first class medical facility called the Courtice Health Centre, which opened on April 12, 1999, and which is home to 22 family physicians, diagnostic imaging and laboratory services, dental centre, hearing testing, rehab services and a number of programs operated by Lakeridge Health Corporation.
With the success of the Courtice Health Centre, the group decided to build an identical facility on 2 acres of land in North Oshawa, close to the University of Ontario Institute of Technology. The new Taunton Health Centre opened in May 2006 and is home to **16** family doctors, urology centre with 4 urologists offices, walk-in clinic, plus a wide range of diagnostic and treatment services.
In 2010 a two acre site directly adjacent to the Taunton Health Centre was acquired for the purpose of future expansion. In late 2013, construction was completed on a 36,000 state-of-the-art facility. The Taunton Surgical Centre is now home for 5 general surgeons, 5 orthopedic surgeons, 2 plastic surgeons and 2 physiatrists. The Pain Management Clinic occupies 4,000 square feet on the ground floor where they operate their comprehensive pain management program for chronic pain patients.